World Magazine: Today’s illegally huddled masses still yearn to breathe freeCompelling article by World Magazine today. I don't know what to think about it yet. One thing for sure, its heart wrenching. Its a must read.
World Magazine also provides a run down of the two legislations being debated out there.
Guest-worker" provisions to make some illegals temporarily legal are at the heart of immigration battles on Capitol Hill.
The House bill (H.R. 4437) would:
- step up expedited extradition programs;
- add 700 miles of border fence and boost enforcement officer numbers;
- require employers to verify legal status of potential employees at penalty of criminal prosecution with fines from $7,500 to $40,000;
- make the act of illegal immigration a felony and restate provisions against assisting, harboring, encouraging, or transporting illegal immigrants.
The Senate bill (S. 1033) would:
- fund a five-year, comprehensive Homeland Security border protection plan;
- create a guest-worker program that would be available to 400,000 migrants every year, including provisions for naturalization; illegal immigrants would have to pay up to $3,000 in fines to enter the program;
- reimburse states and municipalities for costs related to caring for undocumented migrants;
- increase the number of skilled and educated immigrant workers allowed into the United States every year from 65,000 to 115,000.